The 2017-2018 Worlds Best Workforce Report was presented by Curriculum Coordinator Carri
Thompson, prior to the start of the School Board meeting.
The regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 544 was held in the Otter
Community Room at Kennedy Secondary School. Chair Melanie Cole called the meeting to order at 5:28
pm. The following members were present: Melanie Cole, Blaine Danielson, Missy Hermes, and Stephen
Vigesaa. Natalie Knutson and Matthew Lemke were absent. Jerry Ness, superintendent, Mark Masten,
business manager and Elaine Jahnke, HR Director were also present.
Blaine Danielson, clerk, established a quorum.
Missy Hermes made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. The motion was seconded by Blaine
Danielson and carried unanimously.
Chair Melanie Cole thanked Jennifer Dummer for her donation of two trumpets to the KSS Music
Department, Otter Tail Power for a generous in donation of 3-ring binders and paper, and Craig Hebert
for a donation of a flute to the KSS Music Department.
Reports were presented by:
• Deb Sutor – Student Trip Request to France (2020)
• Derek Abrahams – Fall Sports Update
• Matthew Lemke – LCSC Board, MSHSL
• Natalie Knutson – Wellness, Policy
• Melanie Cole – Spec Ed Coop, Region I, Finance, Activities
• Melissa Hermes – Staff Development, Curriculum Review
• Blaine Danielson – 544 Education Foundation, Buildings & Grounds, Meet & Confer
• Stephen Vigesaa – Legislative Liaison
• Jerry Ness – Superintendent
General Consent Items:
The following consent agenda was presented for approval:
1. Minutes from October 22, 2018 regular School Board meeting and November 14, 2018 Special
School Board meeting
2. Bills and Treasurer’s Report – reviewed by Blaine Dainelson and Natalie Knutson prior to the start
of the School Board meeting:
General Fund $ 1,763,538.38
Food Service $ 87,762.92
Community Service $ 28,971.50
Building Fund $ 0
Debt Service $ 0
Trust & Agency $ 466.45
Student Activity funds were reviewed by the School Board.
Support Staff Resignations:
– Kayla Schafer, noon hour supervisor @ KSS; effective 11/9/18
– Nicole White, noon hour supervisor @ KSS; effective 11/16/18
– Christy Obowa, ECFE Classroom Aide @ Heritage; effective 11/23/18
Support Staff Hires:
– Allison Rismoen, cafeteria, position change to cook/cashier @ 6 hours/day; effective 10/31/18
– Kayla Schafer, cafeteria, position change to dishwasher @ 2.5 hours/day; effective 11/12/18
– Nicole White, position change to special education paraprofessional @ KSS/Floater; effective
– Cheryl Anderson, noon hour supervisor @ KSS; effective 11/26/18
Leave of Absence Request:
– Nancy Dahl, elementary teacher @ Adams; effective 11/5/18-through the end of 18-19 school
4. 2018-2020 Agreement between the School Board of Independent School District #544 and Fergus
Falls Para Educators Association
Missy Hermes moved to approve the consent agenda. The motion was seconded by Blaine Danielson
and carried unanimously.
Matthew Lemke entered the meeting at 5:55 pm.
1. Blaine Danielson moved to approve new ISD #544 School Board policies:
• 615–Testing Accommodations, Modifications, and Exemptions for IEPs, Section 504
Plans,and LEP Students
• 618–Assessment of Student Achievement
• 619–Staff Development for Standards
The motion was seconded by Stephen Vigesaa and carried.
1. Blaine Danielson moved to approve a request to appoint a surrogate parent for a student with
disabilities. The motion was seconded by Missy Hermes and carried unanimously.
2. There was a First Reading of the FY18 School District’s Financial Audit. No action was taken.
3. Missy Hermes moved to approve the 2017-2018 Fergus Falls Public Schools World’s Best Workforce
Report. The motion was seconded by Blaine Danielson and carried unanimously.
4. Matthew Lemke moved to approve a Memorandum of Agreement between ISD #544 and University
of MN – Crookston for the College in the High School (CIHS) program. The motion was seconded by
Stephen Vigesaa and carried unanimously.
5. Stephen Vigesaa moved to approve the request for two additional special education positions (6.5
hrs/day): one at Cleveland School and one at Kennedy Secondary School; along with the hiring of:
– Lori Veitenheimer, special education paraprofessional @ CL; effective: 11/20/18
– Lana Bowman, special education paraprofessional @ KSS; effective: TBD
The motion was seconded by Missy Hermes and carried unanimously.
6. Matthew Lemke offered the following resolution and moved for its adoption:
RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING ISSUANCE OF CERTIFICATES OF ELECTION AND DIRECTING
SCHOOL DISTRICT CLERK TO PERFORM OTHER ELECTION RELATED DUTIES
WHEREAS, the board has canvassed the general election for school board members held on
November 14, 2018.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the School Board of Independent School District No.
544, State of Minnesota, as follows:
1. The chair and clerk are hereby authorized to execute certificates of election on behalf of the
school board of Independent School District No. 544 the following candidates: Missy Hermes,
Melanie Cole and Kirby Anderson who have received a sufficiently large number of votes to be
elected to fill vacancies on the board caused by expiration of term on the first Monday in January
next following the election, based on the results of the canvass.
2. The certificate of election shall be in substantially the form attached hereto
3. After the time for contesting the election has passed and the candidate has filed all campaign
financial reports required by Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 211A, the clerk of the school board is
hereby directed to deliver the certificates to the persons entitled thereto personally or by certified
4. The clerk is hereby directed to enclose with the certificate a form of acceptance of office and oath
of office in substantially the form attached hereto
The motion was seconded by Stephen Vigesaa and upon roll call vote being taken, the following
voted in favor thereof: Melanie Cole, Blaine Danielson, Melissa Hermes, Matthew Lemke, and
and the following voted against same;
Whereupon said motion was declared duly passed and the resolution adopted.
The next regular School Board meeting will be held at 5:15 pm, Monday, December 10, 2018 in the Otter
Community Room at the Kennedy Secondary School. Also, there will be Public Meetings on December
10th regarding the Technology Plan and Internet Safety Policy (To discuss specific technology protection
measures to block or filter internet access) at 5:55 pm; and a Fergus Falls Public Schools Taxes Payable
2019 (Formerly Truth in Taxation) at 6 pm in the Otter Community Room – Kennedy Secondary School.
Blaine Danielson made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 6:26 pm. The motion was seconded by
Stephen Vigesaa and carried unanimously.
A work session followed the School Board meeting.