The regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 544 was held in the Otter Community Room at Kennedy Secondary School. Chair Melanie Cole called the meeting to order at 5:15 pm. The following members were present: Melanie Cole, Blaine Danielson, Missy Hermes, Natalie Knutson, Matthew Lemke, and Stephen Vigesaa. Jerry Ness, superintendent; Mark Masten, business manager; and Elaine Jahnke, HR Director were also present.
Blaine Danielson, clerk, established a quorum.
Blaine Danielson made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. The motion was seconded by
Missy Hermes and carried unanimously.
Chair Melanie Cole thanked Dean and Julianne Gutzmer for their donation of 125 books to Mrs. Larson’s
classroon at Kennedy Secondary School.
Reports were presented by:
• Middle School Washington DC Trip: Summer 2018 Trip Review & Summer 2010 Trip Request
– Nathan Arens
• Elementary Principal – Scott Colbeck (Adams/McKinley)
• Elementary Principal – Tindy Rund (Cleveland)
• Secondary Principal – Dean Monke
• Superintendent – Jerry Ness
General Consent Items:
The following consent agenda was presented for approval:
1. School Board minutes of the regular school board meeting held on September 10, 2018
Support Staff Hires:
• Pauline Nelson, noon hour supervisor @ CL; effective 9/18/18
• Mavis Samuelson, noon hour supervisor @ McK; effective 9/24/18
• Mark Sibenaller, para educator @ KSS; increase of 15 minutes/day for crosswalk duty; effective
• Meg Garrahan, para educator @ KSS; increase of 45 minutes/day for bus duty; effective 10/1/18
Support Staff Correction:
• Lorraine Hicks; cafeteria, decreased hours by 3.25/day (not 4 hr/day), effective 8/30/18
• Jerry (Gerald) Ness, superintendent of schools; effective 6/30/19
Head Coach Hire:
• Lisa Truax, Head Girls’ Softball Coach; effective 9/24/18
3. 2018-2020 Agreement between the School Board of ISD #544 and the MN School Employees
Association – Custodial/Secretarial Personnel
4. Request for additional .39 FTE secretarial position
5. Request of additional 1 FTE special education paraprofessional
– Hire of Drew Smith, special education paraprofessional @ Adams, effective 9/25/18
Matthew Lemke moved to approve the consent agenda. The motion was seconded by Stephen Vigesaa
and carried unanimously.
1. Blaine Danielson moved to approve the Proposed Levy for Taxes Payable 2019 set at the maximum
amount; along with the Public Informational Meeting regarding proposed Property Taxes and Budgets
and Proposed and Final Property Tax Levy scheduled for 6:00 pm Monday, December 10, 2018 in
the Otter Community Room – Kennedy Secondary School (during School Board meeting). The
motion was seconded by Natalie Knutson and carried unanimously.
2. Missy Hermes moved to approve the 2018-2019 Fund Raiser requests as presented. The motion was
seconded by Blaine Danielson and carried unanimously.
3. Blaine Danielson offered the following resolution and moved for its adoption:
RESOLUTION ON THE RETIREMENT OF JERRY (GERALD) NESS
WHEREAS Jerry Ness began his employment with the Fergus Falls Public Schools in August 2006,
WHEREAS Jerry has been a valued employee with the Fergus Falls Public Schools for the past 12
WHEREAS Jerry has done an excellent job as our superintendent and,
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED by the Fergus Falls School Board to thank Jerry Ness for his
12 years of dedicated service to the Fergus Falls Public Schools.
The motion was seconded by Matthew Lemke and upon roll call vote being taken, the following voted in
favor thereof: Melanie Cole, Blaine Danielson, Melissa Hermes, Natalie Knutson, Matthew Lemke, and
and the following voted against same;
Whereupon said motion was declared duly passed and the resolution adopted.
The next regular School Board meeting will be held at 5:15 pm, Monday, October 8, 2018 in the Otter
Community Room at the Kennedy Secondary School.
Stephen Vigesaa made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 6:15 pm. The motion was seconded by
Natalie Knutson and carried unanimously.
A work session followed the School Board meeting.