The regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 544 was held in the Otter
Community Room at Kennedy Secondary School. Chair Melanie Cole called the meeting to order at 5:15
pm. The following members were present: Melanie Cole, Blaine Danielson, Melissa Hermes, Matthew
Lemke, and Stephen Vigesaa. Natalie Knutson was absent. Jerry Ness, superintendent, Mark Masten,
business manager and Elaine Jahnke, personnel manager were also present.
Blaine Danielson, clerk, established a quorum.
Blaine Danielson made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. The motion was seconded by
Melissa Hermes and carried unanimously.
Chair Melanie Cole extended a sincere thank you to the following:
• Service Food for their donation towards the 6th grade trip.
• Jennifer Smestad, Stacy Burda, Shannon Zender, Melissa Reese, Ryan Muchow, and Arielle
Krohn for their generous donations to the Otter Angel account, an account created to anonymously
assist families unable to pay for student meals.
The following reports were presented:
• Matthew Lemke – LCSC Board, MSHSL
• Melanie Cole – Spec Ed Coop, Region I, Finance, Activities
• Melissa Hermes – Staff Development, Curriculum Review
• Blaine Danielson – 544 Education Foundation, Buildings & Grounds, Meet & Confer
• Stephen Vigesaa – Legislative Liaison
• Jerry Ness – Superintendent Report
General Consent Items:
The following consent agenda was presented for approval:
1. Minutes from March 26, 2018 School Board meeting.
2. Bills and Treasurer’s Report – reviewed by Natalie Knutson and Blaine Danielson prior to the start
of the School Board meeting:
Student Activity funds were reviewed by the School Board.
General Fund $1,366,319.37
Food Service $ 42,493.22
Community Service $ 5,181.81
Building Fund $ 0
Debt Service $ 0
Trust & Agency $ 17,695.31
TOTAL $ 1,431,689.71
Support Staff Resignation:
– Robert Henderson, special education paraprofessional, effective end of 17-18 school year
Blaine Danielson moved to approve the consent agenda. The motion was seconded by Matthew Lemke
and carried unanimously.
1. Blaine Danielson offered the following resolution and moved for its adoption:
RESOLUTION DISCONTINUING AND REDUCING EDUCATIONAL POSITIONS AND
WHEREAS, the School Board of Independent School District No. 544 adopted a resolution on
January 22, 2018, directing the administration to make recommendations for reductions in
programs and positions, and
WHEREAS, said recommendations have been received and considered by the School Board,
BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 544, as follows:
That the following programs and positions, or portions thereof, be discontinued:
K-12 Positions: .667 FTEs + 1 FTE in Class-Size Reduction
a. Elementary Class-Size Reduction
c. iQ Special Education
The motion was seconded by Melissa Hermes and upon roll call vote being taken, the following voted
in favor thereof: Melanie Cole, Blaine Danielson, Melissa Hermes, Matthew Lemke, and Stephen
Vigesaa and the following voted against same;
Whereupon said motion was declared duly passed and the resolution adopted.
The next regular School Board meeting will be held at 5:15 pm Monday, April 23, 2018 in the Otter
Community Room at the Kennedy Secondary School.
Stephen Vigesaa made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 5:34 pm. The motion was seconded by
Matthew Lemke and carried unanimously.
A work session followed the School Board meeting.