A public meeting of the World’s Best Workforce/Achievement & Integration was held at 5 pm in the Otter Community Room at the Kennedy Secondary School. Carri Thompson, curriculum director, presented a summary report to the School Board.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all present.
The regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 544 was held in the Otter Community Room at Kennedy Secondary School. Chair Melanie Cole called the meeting to order at 5 pm. The following members were present: Melanie Cole, Blaine Danielson, Melissa Hermes, Natalie Knutson, and Stephen Vigesaa. Matthew Lemke was absent. Jerry Ness, superintendent, Mark Masten, business manager and Elaine Jahnke, personnel manager were also present.
Blaine Danielson, clerk, established a quorum.
Blaine Danielson made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. The motion was seconded by Melissa Hermes and carried unanimously.
Chair Melanie Cole thanked to Dean and Julianne Gutzmer for their donation of clothing ($370 value) to Mrs. Ringquist’ classroom at Cleveland School; and congratulated the Girls Swimming and Diving state participants: Ella Childs, Madison Hubert, Emma Koeckeritz, Brinn Donais, Julia Swanson, Allana Keller and Camryn Appert (who placed 4th in state).
The following reports were presented:
• Laurie Roder – Europe Trip: June 10-24, 2019
• Melanie Cole – Special Ed Coop, Region I, Negotiations
• Melissa Hermes – Curriculum Review Committee, Legislative Liaison
• Natalie Knutson – Policy, Wellness
• Blaine Danielson – 544 Education Foundation, Meet & Confer, Buildings & Grounds
• Stephen Vigesaa – Staff Development
Matthew Lemke entered the meeting at 5:46 pm.
• Matthew Lemke – MSHSL, LCSC Board
• Jerry Ness – Superintendent
General Consent Items:
The following consent agenda was presented for approval:
1. Minutes from October 23, 2017 regular School Board meeting; and minutes from the 11/13/17 special school board meeting.
Support Staff Resignation:
– Amber Hovland, para educator @ McK, last day of work: 11/17/17
– Mark Aho, head boys’ baseball coach, effective 11/8/17
3. Bills and Treasurer’s Report:
Food Service $ 92,206.63
Community Service $ 25,550.39
Building Fund $ 0
Debt Service $ 0
Trust & Agency $ 83.07
TOTAL $ 2,138,000.89
General Fund $ 2,020,160.80
Student Activities funds were reviewed by the School Board.
Blaine Danielson moved to approve the consent agenda. The motion was seconded by Stephen Vigesaa and carried unanimously.
1. Melissa Hermes moved to approve the 2016-2017 Fergus Falls Public Schools World’s Best Workforce Report. The motion was seconded by Blaine Danielson and carried unanimously.
2. Blaine Danielson moved to approve the Spring 2018 Memorandum of Agreement between University of Minnesota Crookston and ISD #544-Fergus Falls Public Schools for College in the High School. The motion was seconded by Natalie Knutson and carried unanimously.
3. Business Manager Mark Masten presented the First Reading of the FY17 Fergus Falls Public Schools’ financial audit. No action was taken.
4. Blaine Danielson moved to award the bid for the Food for the Meal Program to US Foods (for time period: December 1, 2017- February 28, 2018). The motion was seconded by Melissa Hermes and carried unanimously.
5. Stephen Vigesaa offered the following resolution and moved for its adoption:
RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING ISSUANCE OF CERTIFICATE OF ELECTION AND DIRECTING SCHOOL DISTRICT CLERK TO PERFORM OTHER ELECTION RELATED DUTIES
WHEREAS, the board has canvassed the November 7, 2017 special election for a school board member held on November 13, 2017.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the School Board of Independent School District No. 544, State of Minnesota, as follows:
1. The chair and clerk are hereby authorized to execute certificate of election on behalf of the school board of Independent School District No. 544 to the following candidate: Missy (Melissa) Hermes who has received the largest number of votes to be elected to fill a vacancy on the school board in term expiring January 7, 2019, based on the results of the canvass.
2. The certificate of election shall be in substantially the form attached hereto
3. After the time for contesting the election has passed and the candidate has filed all campaign financial reports required by Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 211A, the clerk of the school board is
hereby directed to deliver the certificate to the person entitled thereto personally or by certified mail.
4. The clerk is hereby directed to enclose with the certificate a form of acceptance of office and oath of office in substantially the form attached hereto.
The motion was seconded by Natalie Knutson and upon roll call vote being taken, the following voted in favor thereof: Melanie Cole, Blaine Danielson, Melissa Hermes, Natalie Knutson, Matthew Lemke, and Stephen Vigesaa and the following voted against the same;
Whereupon said motion was declared duly passed and the resolution adopted.
6. Matthew Lemke moved to approve the revision to Policy 902: Use of School Facilities. The motion was seconded by Blaine Danielson and carried unanimously
7. Blaine Danielson moved to approve the Employee Assistance Program Agreement between Lakeland Mental Health Center, Inc. and ISD #544, effective 1/1/18-12/31/19. The motion was seconded by Natalie Knutson and carried unanimously.
The next regular School Board meeting will be held at 5 pm Monday, December 11, 2017 in the Otter Community Room at the Kennedy Secondary School, which will include a Public Meeting on the Technology Plan and Internet Safety Policy; along with a Public Meeting at 6 pm on the Fergus Falls Public Schools Taxes Payable 2018.
8. At 6:11 pm, Blaine Danielson moved to go into a closed session as per MN Statute 13D.05, Subd.3 to discuss the evaluation of Supt. Jerry Ness. The motion was seconded by Natalie Knutson and carried unanimously.
Stephen Vigesaa left the meeting at 6:56 pm.
9. Blaine Danielson moved to re-open the meeting at 6:58 pm. The motion was seconded by Melissa Hermes and carried unanimously.
10. Chair Melanie Cole reported that members of the School Board presented a very positive evaluation of Superintendent Jerry Ness, which resulted in a high cumulative evaluation score. The Board also set goals for Supt. Ness’ focus for the school year.
Blaine Danielson made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:02 pm. The motion was seconded by Matthew Lemke and carried unanimously.
A Long-term Facilities Committee Meeting followed the School Board meeting.