The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all present.
The regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 544 was held in the Otter Community Room at Kennedy Secondary School. Chair Melanie Cole called the meeting to order at 5 pm. The following members were present: Melanie Cole, Blaine Danielson, Melissa Hermes, Matthew Lemke, and Stephen Vigesaa. Natalie Knutson was absent. Jerry Ness, superintendent, Mark Masten, business manager and Elaine Jahnke, personnel manager were also present.
Blaine Danielson, clerk, established a quorum.
Melissa Hermes made a motion to approve the agenda with a modification. The motion was seconded by Stephen Vigesaa and carried unanimously.
Thank you to Dean and Julianne Gutzmer for their donation of clothing valued at $63 to Mrs. Ringquist’s classroom at Cleveland School.
The following reports were presented:
• Mary Matteson – Adopt-A-Class
• Melanie Cole – Special Ed Coop, Region I, Negotiations
• Melissa Hermes – Curriculum Review Committee, Legislative Liaison
• Blaine Danielson – 544 Education Foundation, Meet & Confer, Buildings & Grounds
• Stephen Vigesaa – Staff Development
• Matthew Lemke – MSHSL, LCSC Board
• Jerry Ness – Superintendent
General Consent Items:
The following consent agenda was presented for approval:
1. Minutes from September 25, 2017 School Board meeting
2. Bills and Treasurer’s Report
Student Activities funds were reviewed by the School Board.
General Fund $ 1,891,401.77
Food Service $ 65,912.84
Community Service $ 169,898.25
Building Fund $
Debt Service $
Trust & Agency $ 225.00
TOTAL $ 2,127,437.86
Support Staff Hires:
• Samuel Neubauer, special education paraprofessional, effective 10/2/17
• Kayla Wersinger, special education paraprofessional, effective 10/9/17
• Samantha Johnson, special education paraprofessional, effective 10/11/17
Support Staff Resignation:
• Trisha Hartwell, special education paraprofessional, last day worked: 10/11/17
Support Staff Retirement:
• Collette Cox, para educator, last day worked: 12/21/17
Matthew Lemke moved to approve the consent agenda. The motion was seconded by Blaine Danielson and carried unanimously.
1. Stephen Vigesaa moved to approve the 2017-18 Assurance of Compliance With State And Federal Law Prohibiting Discrimination. The motion was seconded by Melissa Hermes and carried
2. Matthew Lemke offered the following resolution and moved for its adoption:
RESOLUTION ON THE RETIREMENT OF COLLETTE COX
WHEREAS Collette Cox began her employment with the Fergus Falls Public Schools in September 1991, and
WHEREAS Collette has been a valued employee with the Fergus Falls Public Schools for the past 26.5 years, and
WHEREAS Collette has done an excellent job as a para educator in the School District and,
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED by the Fergus Falls School Board to thank Collette Cox for her 26.5 years of dedicated service to the Fergus Falls Public Schools.
The motion was seconded by Blaine Danielson and upon roll call vote being taken, the following voted in favor thereof: Melanie Cole, Blaine Danielson, Melissa Hermes, Matthew Lemke, and
Stephen Vigesaa and the following voted against the same;
Whereupon said motion was declared duly passed and the resolution adopted.
The next regular School Board meeting will be held at 5 pm Monday, October 23, 2017 in the Otter Community Room at the Kennedy Secondary School.
Melissa Hermes made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 5:33 pm. The motion was seconded by Blaine Danielson and carried unanimously.
A work session followed the School Board meeting.