The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all present.
The regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 544 was held in the Otter
Community Room at Kennedy Secondary School. Chair Melanie Cole called the meeting to order at 5
pm. The following members were present: Melanie Cole, Blaine Danielson, Melissa Hermes, Natalie
Knutson, Matthew Lemke and Stephen Vigesaa. Jerry Ness, superintendent, and Mark Masten,
business manager were also present.
Blaine Danielson, clerk, established a quorum.
Blaine Danielson made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. The motion was seconded by
Melissa Hermes and carried unanimously.
Chair Melanie Cole thanked the 544 Education Foundation who received 22 grant applications from the
Fergus Falls Schools totaling $28,752.40 and were able to completely fund all of them. The 544
Education Foundation, along with their donors, also granted funding for 67 items off of this year’s
classroom wish list.
The following report was presented:
• Elementary Principal – Scott Colbeck (Adams/McKinley)
• Elementary Principal – Tindy Rund (Cleveland)
• Superintendent – Jerry Ness
General Consent Items:
The following consent agenda was presented for approval:
1. School Board minutes of the regular school board meeting held on October 9, 2017
Certified Staff Hire:
– Reilly Seland, elementary teacher substitute @ Adams; effective 10/10/17-12/15/17; .2459 FTE
Certified Staff Resignation:
– Michele Kangas, elementary teacher @ iQ Academy, last day: 11/3/17
Matthew Lemke moved to approve the consent agenda. The motion was seconded by Stephen Vigesaa
and carried unanimously.
1. Blaine Danielson moved to approve a change to 2017-2018 School District Calendar: March 22,
2018 will be a full day of school – with no student early out. The motion was seconded by Matthew
Lemke and carried unanimously.
2. Blaine Danielson moved to approve the Call for Roofing Bids for Kennedy Secondary School. The
motion was seconded by Melissa Hermes and carried unanimously.
3. Stephen Vigesaa moved to Call for bids on food for the Meal Program. The motion was seconded by
Natalie Knutson and carried unanimously.
The next regular School Board meeting will be held at 5 pm Monday, November 20, 2017 in the Otter
Community Room at the Kennedy Secondary School.
Blaine Danielson made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 5:30 pm. The motion was seconded by
Stephen Vigesaa and carried unanimously.
Following a work session, a Long-Term Facility Committee meeting was held.